Project aim is the development of a sample application for the use of Augmented Reality (AR) for the retrieval and presentation of sensor data. Therefore, suitable technologies will be determined and combined. Aim is to improve the competitiveness of users and software manufacturers in the region.
Sensors collect ambient data, for example optically (camera, laser), temperature or consumption data (e.g. electricity). The presentation of the data is done via smartphone, tablet or data glasses.
Subsections of the project are:
- Object detection, for example equipment and carriers in industrial warehouses, from laser point clouds or camera
- Localisation of employees via smartphone by indoor position determination
- Fetching data from different types of sensors with different standards
- User interface with the graphic representation of the sensor data and control elements for user input
- Data security and data protection to make sure that only authorized persons can use and change data
The research will comprise three sample scenarios for Augmented Reality applications that are worked out in cooperation with industry partners. Planned is a user story for each of the following sectors:
- Facility management, for example the reading from indoor sensor data by smartphone and graphic representation of maintenance requirements or errors
- Industry: recognition of equipment and carriers in industrial buildings from laser point clouds
- Logistics, for example: An employee needs assistance at a machine. Via smartphone app with indoor positioning the colleague with the shortest itinerary is alerted. Alternatively, remote assistance is used for troubleshooting.